I love when food not only tastes good but looks good too. This recipe of shish tawook – chicken cooked on skewers is easy to make and great dish to impress your family and friends.
What I used:
- 2 lb chicken thighs
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 onion
- hand full of cherry tomatoes
- 4-5 medium size yukon gold potatoes
- 5 bamboo skewers
Spices for marinade:
- 1/4 soya sauce
- 1/4 tomato paste
- 1/4 white vinegar
- 1 tea spoon of cumin
- 1 tea spoon coriander
- 1/2 tea spoon black pepper
1. Wash the thighs well with water, dry over the paper towel. Whisk all the ingredients for the marinade together in a big bowl. Add the chicken. Leave it for a half an hour outside or for an hour inside the fridge to soak all the spices.
2. Meanwhile peal the potato and cut it in 1 inch or so circles. Lay them one layer in a pyrex tray (mine is 14×10).
3. Cut the vegetables in cubes, except of tomatoes.
4. Stalk chicken and vegetables over the bamboo skewers. You can see the way I did on a top view shot.
5. Lay the skewers over the potato. If you have any marinade left, evenly pour it over the skewers. Preheat the oven till 400F.
6. Cover the tray with foil and put it in the oven for 30 minutes to cook. Then take the foil off and leave it for additional 20 minutes or till the edges of meat will start getting brown.
Not only chicken comes out great in this recipe, but potatoes as well. They soak all the juice of the chicken and veggies, and come out as a finger licking side to the main dish.